One of the most important features of a Blue Ocean house is our Energy Star Certification. You’re likely used to seeing the trademark little blue and white star on appliances, HVAC systems, furnaces, and lighting or electrical systems, but entire homes can achieve this EPA certification as well. Despite the fact that most new home builders do not concern themselves with meeting such stringent standards for environmental impact, we here at Blue Ocean have made it a pillar of our mission from the first. All our homes are Energy Star Certified.
So what does that actually mean?
In order to receive an Energy Star Certification for their home, a home builder must meet strict guidelines published by the EPA in a multi-step process. First, they must become an Energy Star partner, which involves working with an Energy Star Rating Company to verify that each system surpasses efficiency and sustainability standards. Secondly, the builder submits all architectural plans to their Rating Company, collaboratively selecting the specific systems and measures they will employ in building the home to meet standards. Once these measures have been vetted, the home build begins. The Rater then conducts multiple inspections during and after the build to ensure that all quality assurance standards have been met before issuing the Energy Star Certificate.
Here at Blue Ocean, we partner with Building Performance Solutions to ensure that every stage of our process, from design all the way through finished build, is truly the finest and most efficient product in the industry. In your finished home, you can expect the following features of an Energy Star Certified Home:
1. A Complete Thermal Enclosure System: A Thermal Enclosure System employs cutting edge air sealing, insulation, and window technology to ensure a lower utility bill, and improved comfort. Your home will stay as warm or as cool as you decide, no matter the season.
2. A Water Management System: A Water Management System carefully considers each aspect of the building’s construction - including Roof, Walls, and Foundation - to protect your investment against water damage. Your Blue Ocean Home will include flashing, a drainage plane, and site grading to route water from the roof to the ground and away from the foundation. In addition, however, all below-grade walls will be produced using industry leading water resistant materials to prevent water from intruding in case of flooding.
3. Energy Efficient Lighting and Appliances: Every fixture in your home, from the bathroom fans to kitchen appliances, wall plugs to exhaust fans, will be chosen from among the leading Energy Star Certified providers in the industry to ensure a consistently lower utility bill without threatening performance. All LED lighting ensures optimal performance at the lowest cost.
4. Heating, Cooling, and Ventilation System: HVAC systems are often where standard homes fall short. Ductwork can be cobbled together and still “work” without offering truly peak efficiency. Often this happens because, like electrical wiring, HVAC systems are installed during the build by a different contractor, and were not factored into the original plans for the home. Our 3D modeling system allows us to factor in every tiny detail, down to each wire, pipe, and duct to ensure that your home functions as a living breathing whole. Your HVAC systems will provide optimal performance while saving you money year after year.
When it comes to building your dream home, an Energy Star Certification offers you the security of mind that comes with third-party verification of your home’s peak performance. You deserve a home that meets the highest possible standard, and we don’t build anything less.
Why Use Panelized Building Systems?
- Significantly reduce the production time
- Reduce jobsite waste
- Reduce the lumber consumption
- Increase production quality
- Decrease time-to-completion